Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Book Review: None Like Him

One of my goals for 2019 was to read one book a month.  Fiction has always been easy for me to read.  I can fly through a fiction book in a long evening, forsaking all responsibilities in the meantime.  Non-fiction seems to be a different story.  I get lost, become uninterested, or just plain fall asleep.  To help overcome this, I am choosing to focus on non-fiction for the bulk of my 12 books this year.

First on my list of books to read in 2019 was Jen Wilkin's None Like Him: 10 Ways God is Different From Us (and why that's a good thing).



The opening line of Wilkin's book drew me in and made me feel as though she and I could be good friends.  She does an excellent job of sprinkling personal anecdotes throughout this theologically-rich book.  True to the title, Wilkin clearly conveys why it is a good thing that God is different from us.  She does this in a way that is practical and applicable.  Each of the ten chapters of this book begins by defining and explaining an attribute of God.  This is followed by examples of how we cannot attain these attributes, were never intended to, and how it is truly a good thing we cannot.

I loved everything about this book.  The content was deep, though easy to read.  I had many "ah-ha" moments as I read, as well as some conviction on areas where my thinking and actions have not been correct.  Overall, I found her book to be very challenging and encouraging, and I am excited to read more by this author in the future!  This is definitely a book I would recommend to others.

Rachel's Rating:
★★★★★

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cool! I'll have to check it out!