Pages

Friday, May 28, 2021

Yesterday...Goodbye, House

Yesterday, I left this: A fireplace.  A place of warmth to enjoy on a cold winter day.  A pretty feature in our family room.  A little something we chose to have added to our house when we finished off the basement five years ago.  The boys used to get so excited when this fireplace would kick on.  They would call to me, "Mom, the fireplace is on!  Want to come camping with me?"  We would sit in front of that fireplace and they would just smile, watching the flames and dreaming their little boy dreams.  I would sit there and smile, watching THEM.


Yesterday, I left this: A set of two steps at the bottom of a longer set of stairs leading to the basement.  We used to put a baby gate there, once upon a time.  And two little guys would climb those two steps, make eye contact with their momma, and make her heart skip a beat when they took a flying leap down those 18-ish inches.  Then they would smile and do it again.


Yesterday, I left this: A room with a washer and dryer in it.  A room I used almost daily (even on the day we moved).  A room where I would dig through clean, not-yet-folded laundry, trying to find the clothing my daughter HAD to have for school that morning.  I would spend time alone in there, sorting through outgrown clothes and figuring out who to pass them on to next.  My girls would come and help me load laundry, chatting about whatever was on their mind at the time.  Did I mention I spent a lot of time in there? Because I did.  Almost every day.


Yesterday, I left a place where memories were made.  I cried, thinking through all that happened in that house.  We had so many good times there.  We got through some tough days together there.  It was the first house Tim and I owned together.  It was the only house my youngest three remembered living in.  It was comfortable.  It was home.


Yesterday, we left our house.  The new owners came as we were clearing out the last of our things from the kitchen.  It was heart-warming to see their excitement and happiness with their new house.  They walked through with some family members, showing them where they would now be living.  We signed the papers, handed over the keys, and now that house is their home.  Now they get to make their memories.  I pray the house is a place of joy for them, just as it was for us.


Yesterday was a day to reflect and to say goodbye.  Bluebird Lane, we will miss you.  Allegan, we will miss you.  We are thankful for our time there and all the memories made.


Tuesday we will sign the papers, get the keys, and move into our next home.  We will start making memories there.  We will begin making that house our home.  We look forward to Tuesday with anticipation.

No comments: