Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Praising God for Vegetables

I wrote a few posts ago about how much of our budget goes towards produce each week and the desire to decrease that amount.  Since that time, I really have not purchased much produce.  The main reason was to use that money towards items for our stockpile. 

I have to praise the Lord though, for supplying our needs in a way I definitely did not expect.  I got a call last week from someone I know does not read my blog.  "Would your family like some fresh vegetables?"  I said of course we would!  She went on to say "squash, tomatoes".  "Yes, we eat a lot of that!" 

Later that evening, she dropped off two grocery bags with squash, tomatoes, potatoes, and onions.  (I also need to mention that we were completely out of vegetables at this point in time.)

The next day, someone mentioned that our family buys a lot of cucumbers.  A friend overheard and said, "Stop buying them.  I will give you some."  Another vegetable that we were completely out of!

Last night I thought I heard the porch door open and close, so I went to check it out.  On the porch were two more bags of produce!  One was full of blueberries, and the other had tomatoes and a few cucumbers.

I was able to shred and freeze enough squash to make 9 loaves of zucchini bread in the future. I kept quite a bit of blueberries in the fridge and was still able to freeze 8 cups for future use.  I looked in my cookbook and found out you can also freeze tomatoes, so I will be doing that later today.  (I'm not into canning, but freezing is easy enough!)

We are blessed to be in the midst of farm country, living alongside giving people who are willing to share their abundance with us.  Praise the Lord for supplying more than we need!  I am excited and rejoicing for this blessing.

And I am considering a garden for next year.  How awesome would it be to be the one sharing with others!

No comments: