Friday, January 16, 2009

A week ago today...

It is hard to believe that it has already been one week since we headed into the hospital to be induced. Little did we know what the next 29 hours held in store! Here is Sarah's birth story - more of a timeline than anything.

7:00 Friday morning, January 9, 2009 - Tim and I arrived at the hospital to be induced.
8:00 am - Dr. Haupt arrived and administered Cytotec - a prostaglandin tablet intended to ripen the cervix. Still dilated at 2cm.
12:30 pm - Dr. Haupt arrived and adminstered second dose of Cytotec.

**Long, long day filled with lots of clear liquids consumed by Rachel and pacing around the hospital room - there is nothing to do on the labor and delivery floor.

1:00 am Saturday, January 10, 2009 - Pitocin drip initiated. Now dilated at 3cm.
2:30 am - My water broke! Gross. Reassured by the nurse that "now things will start happening more quickly".
2:45 am - Wow, contractions can be really painful. Tim was doing a great job of rubbing my back to get me through them, but some were becoming overpowering and I was losing my focus. Pain medication (Stadol) administered. Mmmmm...I love Stadol. Now dilated at 4cm. Able to sleep through several of the following contractions.
3:15 am - Dr. Haupt in to place a monitor to see the strength of my contractions - informed at this point that there was meconium in my water and that a NICU team would be at the delivery just in case.
5:00 am - Dilated at 5-6cm. Second dose of Stadol administered. I realized at this point that my desire to go through labor without an epidural just was not going to be possible. The nurse informed me that the anesthesiologist was in a c-section and would be up as soon as possible.
6:45 am - My favorite doctor EVER arrived and placed the epidural. What an odd sensation! Odd...but nice... Now dilated at 7 cm.
9:20 am - Dilated to 9.5cm - the nurse informed me that there was still a "rim" on my cervix, but we would start pushing in a little while anyway...can't remember the reason why...
10:40 am - Began pushing. This was strenuous work but not painful. Again, yay epidural!!!
12:30ish pm - Dr. Haupt notified of lack of progress with pushing. He came in and observed a few pushes, then discussed using vacuum extraction and possibly c-section if needed. I cried - after this long, we were discussing a c-section?! No way - this baby was coming out, and coming out soon!
1:09 pm - With the assistance of the vacuum and forceps, Sarah made her grand entrance into the world! We were overjoyed. She was actually THERE, healthy, and beautiful. The hospital staff informed us that her "cone-head" would look much better in a couple of hours. That cone head was pretty cute though. :)

I was informed later that there were staff waiting in the hall to take me down for a c-section. The nurse taking care of me that day told me that I was fortunate to have Dr. Haupt as my doctor - not many doctors are willing (or even know how) to use forceps anymore, and I would have been more likely to end up in a c-section. I'm a big fan of Dr. Haupt.

Here are some new pictures, since I know that's what you're waiting for anyway. :)


Jer, Julie and Ben said...

You are a trooper for making it that long without the epidural. I had them meet me in the parking lot with it. :o) Thanks for the pics! What a little angel.
Love you guys!

Jennifer said...

Wow, what a story. Good for you for hanging in there. I am glad you didn't have to have a c-section. I can only imagine what a bummer that would have been!! She is a cutie :)

Robynne said...

Man.. that's not fun. :/
However, I did enjoy the "Mmmmm...I love Stadol."
It's hard to believe it's been a week already.

I love her. <3
You'll have to let me babysit sometime.
(Not too soon, I know.. that wouldn't go well.)

Pam said...

Again reasons why I'm a big fan of adoption. ;) Love it that you made it all the way though that. I'm sure it was much more eventful than your little list though. ;) I want to hold her!

Missy Farley said...

Rachel ~ just count your blessings that you didn't have to go through all that then be faced with the c-section as I was w/Blake. My labor lasted forever (3 days) and then they knocked me out and he was finally here. Susan says my labor was the labor from....well you know what I mean. With his birth being so terribly horrible when I found out I was pregnant with Tori, the doctor asked if I wanted another c-section and I was ready for another as it couldn't be worse as the first delivery. I'm glad you didn't have to go through that and Tim too. I remember seeing Tom before they wheeled me back and he was dressed in his yellow outfit ready to go with me but Blake's heart rate dropped so fast that all I remember was the look on his face and he was pretty scared as was I. The end result was Blake but it was really hard to go through.

Enjoy your little bundle as she will bring so many smiles to your face and heart. Sending hugs and smoochies Sarah's way from Ohio.

Sue said...

Hmm...I remember singing praises to the inventor of the epidural!! I only had it for the 1st baby though! She is beautiful!! Can't wait to spoil her!!