Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Especially Thankful

As a nurse, I have often daydreamed about being the hero in unplanned scenarios.  For example, a stranger collapses in the grocery store and I immediately begin CPR, saving their life.  I have often wondered how I would respond to an emergency with my own child.  In my mental rehearsals, I am always calm and collected.  It's funny how things happen differently in real life.

My husband came home for lunch today, and he and the princess were playing in the kitchen.  I was at the sink, so I could see my husband but not my daughter.  I heard two thunks, followed by the most painful cry I have ever heard from my little girl.  I came around the corner to give her a kiss as she snuggled up with her daddy.  She had hit her head on the cupboards and then fallen and hit it again on the floor.

My husband was cradling my daughter in his arms, and she looked like she was going to scream...but she never did.  I heard him tell her "breathe", and then she went limp in his arms.  Her eyes were open and fixed on the ceiling, and my perfect RN reaction was to scream "Sarah!  Sarah!" repeatedly.  In the midst of my hysterics, I did pick up the phone and dial 911.  However, the little princess rejuvenated before I had the chance to tell the operator I needed an ambulance.  Instead, I told her I was calling my doctor, and they had us take the princess to the ER.

She had a CT scan done (which was traumatic for baby and Mommy...so glad Daddy was there for us), and it showed no bleed or mass.  We are just supposed to watch her especially closely for the next 48 hours.

I am especially thankful for my little girl tonight.  Things could have turned out much differently.  We are so fortunate to have this little one in our lives.  I thank God for the safety He showed to our family today.  And I thank Him for the reminder that life is a gift.

Snuggling with Daddy at the ER

Snuggling in the ER





5 comments:

Elle Belles Bows said...

Rachel,

I am so very sorry to hear about Princess getting hurt! I am so happy and relieved to hear that all appears well. I will pray that it remains that way.

Please take care and Keep us posted!

Blessings!
Kerri

Anonymous said...

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/breath-holding-spell/overview.html

My son had the same. Numberous episodes. He is now 4 and it has been over a year since he has had an episode. Try blowing on his face. It helped us get him to take a breath.

Sue said...

How scary!! She's definitely a Farley though. Ask Tim if he remembers how Becky used to hold her breath and pass out! Jennifer did it to me a few times, too!

The Alburger Family said...

So glad everything was OK!

Jen said...

Wow!! That is so scary. I am so glad that you are all ok!!! Love you guys!

Jen